Lawless released their excellent second album ‘R.I.S.E’ at the end of last year on Escape Music. Here we catch-up with vocalist Paul Hulme…
What have you got planned for the next few months music wise? e.g. tour plans, recording etc.
We are currently writing music and recording album number 3!! and will be gigging all year long
Could you take us through the songs on ‘R.I.S.E.’ e.g. stories behind the songs, songwriting process etc.
Neil our drummer and myself have been writing the songs on our last 2 albums however we are all having an input on the 3rd, normally Neil will write and demo the whole track with drums guitars bass keys from beginning to end and then send me the demo with no lyrics or melody,he is prolific at this and I will listen to them and pick the ones I can really get a feel for then add the lyrics and melody those that we feel really work will then get recorded and make it onto the album
The songs on R.I.S.E are:
1. 1914 Ghosts of No Man’s Land a story about the pipers during WW1 and the sacrifices they made ,would we be willing to do this today?
2. Pain about the manic depressive and the fear of loneliness and pain we all share from time to time
3. R.I.S.E a bit cliched but still pertinent in this day and age the fact that we all need to pull together in spite of our country’s problems
4.Twisted and Burned I suppose a bit similar to Pain Really
5. Song for A Friend a personal song for me about about a close friend who split from there partner, never easy for all concerned
6. Kiss my Glass, well the title is a metaphor the songs about a fire breathing woman!! so you can guess the rest
7. Dead Man Walking see 2
8. Heavens Raining a nod to Mr Dio on this one I think
9. How Long ,a ballad when you are told by someone you deeply care for that they want more space to think about the relationship, how long?
10. Diamond in the Rough a story about a lady who many thinks a little on the rough side but who you know is really a diamond!!
11. Is This the End of the World speaks for itself
How did the recent album launch gig go at the Sugarmill in Stoke? Plus the ARFM fundraiser gig?
The Sugarmill was a great show the venue was full on all floors and virtually sold out , ARFM was fantastic again a brilliant turnout and great to play with such talented bands and catch up with some old friends
Do you find it hard to get UK gigs? Is the UK gig scene in a good state right now?
It’s not hard to get gigs but it can be hard to get gigs that are worth playing, for this we have to thank our fans who always come out to support us
You made your first YouTube ‘story’ video for ’1914 (Ghosts Of No Mans Land)’. How easy/hard was that to arrange and record?
We had a great producer to help us with filming the video (Jay Hillyer) and it was great for us to work with brilliant actors such as Linda Brammer and Dan Blood with people like that its not difficult and we thank them.
You have a new band member in rhythm guitarist Jamie Crees. How has he fitted into the band and will he be involved in the studio and live sides of the band?
Yes we have known Jamie for many years originally we were a 4 piece but I am actually by trade a frontman so it was only natural to ask Jamie to join us on guitars he will be playing on all our live shows and our next album.
Message for your fans…
Our Fans have been so special they have got us airplay on major radio stations and with there support managed to help us get some fantastic guest artist slots without them we would not be us, we salute them all, they are the true life and soul of rock n roll and know how to make it METAL TIME!!!
Photos by Simon Dunkerley
Listen in to Get Ready to ROCK! Radio…
Click the appropriate icons at the top of the page.
Pete Feenstra celebrated his 300th show in October 2019. Pete heads up a five-hour blues rock marathon when “Tuesday is Bluesday” from 19:00 GMT. Listen out also for his interview-based Feature show on Sundays (20:00 GMT)
Power Plays w/c 11 November (Mon-Fri)
MILES NIELSEN AND THE RUSTED HEARTS Hands Up (indie)
THE FARGO RAILROAD COMPANY Something In The Water (indie)
THE DARK ELEMENT If I Had A Heart (Frontiers)
LIBERTY LIES A Thousand People (indie)
DIRTY SHIRLEY Here Comes The King (Frontiers)
CARRY THE CROWN Runaway (indie)
Featured Albums w/c 11 November (Mon-Fri)
09:00-12:00 WORK OF ART Exhibits (Frontiers)
12:00-13:00 SIGN X Like A Fire (Pride & Joy Music)
14:00-16:00 JACK BROADBENT Moonshine Blue (Creature Records)
Albums That Time Forgot (Mon-Fri)
MAGNUM Sleepwalking (1992)
Tweets by Get Ready to ROCK!